I thought I would kick this off by offering up 5 things my family does to keep our costs low and save money.
- Skip the dryer and hang your clothes on the line. It’s easy to get into the habit of just transferring everything straight from the washing machine to the dryer but the cost of each load adds up! It’s also easier on your clothes and better for the environment. Win, win, win! Save yourself some money (and the shock that comes when you open your next electricity bill) and pop your next load on the line.
- Stop buying takeaway coffee and make your own coffee. I know how tempting it can be to buy a cappuccino or a latte every morning but they all add up! If you need something a little bit fancier to get you going look at investing in a pod machine. With the savings you make by not buying a coffee every day, it will soon pay for itself.
- Along those same lines is pack your own lunch. A treat every now and then (maybe one day a week) is fine but the weeks we slack off on this and my partner or I buy our lunch a couple of times or more makes a big difference in our budget. If you don’t have time in the morning try packing it in the evening while making dinner.
- Freeze leftovers. If you know you won’t eat your leftovers in the next few days (or can’t stand eating the same thing the next day for lunch), pop them in a container and freeze them. Saves you having to throw them out when you find them at the back of the fridge next week and saves you money on a future meal. This also provides a quick go to when you haven’t had time to prepare your lunch the night before.
- Check out your local library. My family loves going to the library. My partner isn’t a huge reader but he loves to check out the comics and anime they have, our son loves the DVD and puzzle collections and I usually come home with a new book and magazine. It’s a great way to keep us all entertained and it doesn’t cost a thing! Just make sure you renew or return any items you borrow on time, those late fees can add up quickly!
So there we have 5 ways my family saves money. Let me know in the comments things your family does to save.