This week has been a scorching start to summer so I thought I would share some ways to save money this season. To read my other posts on how to save money click here.
- Make home-made ice blocks. These are much cheaper than store-bought ones and can be healthier because you know exactly what is in them. You can buy moulds from Kmart or Big W quite cheaply. Try blending different fruits or even just freezing fruit juice for a simple cool treat.
- Some days turning the air conditioner on is inevitable (if you are lucky enough to have one). To stop your power bill from skyrocketing set it to 24 degrees and make sure to turn it off before you leave the house. Paying to cool an empty house won’t do your budget any favours. This also alludes to tip number 3…
- Turn off any fans you aren’t using. The number of times I’ve gone into an empty room to find someone has left a fan on is enough to drive me insane! Again, paying to cool areas you aren’t using quickly adds up. Try to get your family into the habit of only having the fan on in the room they are currently in, and if you have any ideas on ways to do this, please let me know!
- Consider buying a pool pass now. Trips to the pool are a wonderful day out in summer but the cost of them can quickly add up. Check out your local pool to see what kind of deals they offer on seasonal or monthly passes and purchase now to get the most use out of them before the weather cools down again.
- Check the seal on your fridge. Your fridge is the most used appliance in the house, running all day every day. When the door seal is damaged cold air escapes making the appliance work harder which in turn costs you more in electricity.
So there you have my 5 ways to save money this Summer. What are your best tips for saving money when the weather gets hot? I’d love to hear about them in the comments below 🙂