If you read this week’s Meal Plan Monday you will know I made corned beef this week (as well as a lot of other beef meals!), so of course I had to make cheese sauce. It’s one of those simple recipes, like fritters, that you can add different things to and use in different ways, but with corned beef my family loves just a basic cheese sauce so I thought today I would share how I make it.
You will need:
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups milk
1 cup grated cheese
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until it’s all nice and bubbly.
- Add flour and stir for about a minute.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. I find the best thing to do is add a little bit at a time and make sure it’s really combined before adding anymore to make sure it doesn’t end up lumpy.
- Return to heat and cook while stirring, for about 10 minutes, until the sauce comes to the boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and salt.
So there you have my basic cheese sauce recipe. It’s very simple but that’s what my boys seem to like. Do you add anything special to your cheese sauce to make it a bit fancier? I’d love to hear about it in the comments.
Are you following Budget Mums on Facebook? Click here to head over to our Facebook page and have a look.