A few weeks ago I posted 5 Ways to Save This Spring, but did you know a good Spring Clean can be good for your budget too? Today I am sharing 5 ways a Spring Clean can help you save money. To see my other posts with ways to save click here.
- Clean your appliances – I mentioned in my spring ways to save post, now is the time to clean and service your air conditioner to prepare for the coming months and help keep you electricity bill down. The same goes for other large appliances. Giving your fridge (especially the vents), dishwasher and washing machine a thorough clean (check your instruction manuals for instructions), will help lower your energy costs and save you money.
- Dusting – This one is especially important if you or your family members suffer from health issues such as asthma or allergies. Dirt, dust and mould build up during winter triggering such ailments. Giving your house a good old dust can help relieve these types of health conditions, which in turn, means less money spent on medicines and medical treatments. I’m not saying it will solve all your health problems (and I am definitely not a doctor so do make sure to follow your health care professionals advice!), but every little bit helps.
- De-clutter – This isn’t as much a way to save as a way to make a little extra money. We all have things in our home we no longer want or use for whatever reason. Why not sell them and make yourself some cash? You can list items on your local buy, swap and sell pages, Gumtree or eBay. Added bonus, having less stuff in your home means less stuff to clean!
- Organise – Having a place for everything, and everything in its place, makes life so much easier to find things. When we first moved in together, I can’t tell you how many times my Husband swore we were out of something I was sure we had, gone out and purchased more, only for me to find an excess of it tucked in a drawer or cupboard somewhere later. These days he knows where most things in our home live and we no longer end up with 62 million rolls of sticky tape lying around.
- Clean out your car – Did you know that carrying extra weight in your vehicle actually increases fuel consumption? Driving around with things you don’t need in your car, like 62 million toys in the back seat, unnecessarily raises your vehicles weight and uses more fuel per kilometre. Clean your car out of anything you don’t need and save yourself some dollars. Side note: does anyone else’s child just HAVE to take a toy with them, you know. in case they get bored or something, where ever they go and then just leave them in the car? No? Just mine then.
So there you have 5 ways a Spring Clean can help you save money. Do you Spring Clean your home and if so, do you find it helps save you money? I’d love to hear about it in the comments.
Are you following Budget Mums on Facebook? Click here to head over to our Facebook page and have a look.